Should the Giants Move to St. Petersburg?

A long time ago the San Francisco Giants contemplated moving the team to St. Petersburg, Florida. However, they decided against it, and the team has been happy for a while. However, now I wonder if they should move to Florida.

Buster Posey, catcher for the Giants from 2009-2021, joined the ownership group of the team and said that a potential factor for the team not getting Shohei Ohtani, even though they offered him practically the same deal, was the drug and crime problems that occur in San Francisco. 

'Something I think is noteworthy, something that unfortunately keeps popping up from players and even the players’ wives, is there’s a bit of an uneasiness with the city itself, as far as the state of the city, with crime, with drugs' (Buster Posey)

I'm not necessarily sure this is the case because Los Angeles has some of the same problems and Shohei went there. I do agree that the city is rather unappealing because it is filthy and there is a ton of crime. I do feel that way about Los Angeles also.

Anyway, Posey struck a nerve, and some people are mad that he would say such a thing with other free agents still available. While this may not have been in the best taste for that particular time, I am unsure, solely because I wasn't there. But if it is true, then people probably need to see this. It just may be a problem if the filth and crime of a city are chasing away free agents because they don't want to play in the environment.

The Giants aren't going to move, but if they did, I don't know if they would even consider St. Petersburg anymore. There are already two major league teams in Florida and I don't know if they need a third. There is good reason to believe that MLB will add two more expansion teams so that they will have 32, and I could see St. Petersburg as a potential spot.

While the Giants are going to stay put, I agree that the city does need to work on those crime and filth problems desperately. I was born and raised a Giants fan (though now I am a Rangers fan), and I honestly don't know what the best decision would be for the team. For the sake of the fans and the rivalry, they should probably stay put. However, if it got bad enough that they had to nove, I would shoot for St. Petersburg. The Giants name wouldn't seem arbitrary, and it is a nicer (and cleaner and safer) location. I would not mind it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The LOOGY

Commentary on the Cy Young Awards

THE TOP PLAYERS FOR 2024