What if Ripken sucked in 1992?

    I know this isn't a baseball card blog, but I did come across something interesting with one of my cards today.

     I was looking at one of my many Cal Ripken Jr. cards, and I noticed something peculiar. In 1992, Ripken played in all 162 games (kind of his calling card) and hit below par, batting .251 with 14 homers and 72 RBIs. I have to say, it wasn't very impressive considering he just came off of an amazing and MVP winning 1991 season in which he batted more than 70 points higher and hit more than double the home runs.

    Back to my card. Here's a photo of it. Can you tell what's wrong? 

 



    In case you can't tell (or the image doesn't load), the card says that Ripken hit only 4 home runs in 1992. 
    If that were the case, it would bring his meager .366 slugging percentage go down to a pathetic .319, making his OPS for that season only .642. He would also have at least 10 less RBI, so it would have been a sad season. If there were an opposite of the Comeback Player of the Year award, then it would have been his.
    Unfortunately, I doubt that this card gets much value for being an error card. I have a cousin with a Byron Buxton error card that is worth $200 just because they forgot to write his name on the front of it. 
    Even though it's a mistake, that Cal Ripken Jr. still remains one of my favorite that I own. I kind of like it more now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The LOOGY

Commentary on the Cy Young Awards

THE TOP PLAYERS FOR 2024